West Lancs logo

Registering to vote

IER logoThe council is responsible for preparing the Register of Electors for West Lancashire.  


You can only vote in elections if your name is on the register of electors, being registered can also improve your credit rating. To find out more go to the electoral register

Annual Canvass

Each summer, households in West Lancashire will receive a 'Household Enquiry Form' with details of those registered to vote at the property. You should check that the information is correct, make any amendments and return the form in the prepaid envelope as soon as possible. 16 and 17 year olds can go on the register now, even though they are not eligible to vote until they are 18.

If you prefer you can fill in the form (external link) online. Or if the details are correct you can call 0800 197 9871 to confirm. You will need the security codes printed on your form to use these services.

This form is not a registration form but you do need to complete it. 

If there are any changes, we will send a separate 'Individual Registration Form' to all the people in the household who are eligible and need to register. Those who are eligible can also register online (external link).

Individual Elector Registration (IER)

Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the 'head of every household' could register everyone who lived at their address. You can register online (external link).

You now need to provide a few more details to register - including your national insurance number and date of birth. 

The changes makes the Electoral Register more secure.

To register at other times of the year

Outside of the Canvass period the electoral register is updated each month. You need to contact the Electoral Services Office to find out exactly when your details will be added. Contact 01695 585014 or email elections.office@westlancs.gov.uk

There are special rules about names being added to the voters' list during an election period.

If you have moved recently

If you have moved recently please tell us so we can send you a Household Registration form, or alternatively register to vote online (external link). 

If you have moved from another borough and have just registered, we will also tell the Electoral Registration Officer for your old address that you have moved, so that your name can be removed from that register. People who live at two homes (including students) are allowed to register at both. If you do not want to be removed from your other address please explain why on your form

Public servants posted overseas

There are separate registration services for public servants, their spouses and civil partners who are likely to be posted overseas.

If you are a member of the Armed Forces, a Crown servant, a British Council employee, or a spouse or registered civil partner you can register to vote online (external link).

British citizens living overseas

If you are a British citizen living abroad, you can apply to be an overseas voter (external link).  

When you send us your form we will add you to our list of new applications. Any elector can then object to your name being added to the register. If this happens we will write to you.

If your application is not objected to, we will change your details within two to six weeks of receiving your form. We will write to tell you when your application is allowed.

Citizens of EU countries outside the UK and Republic of Ireland

EU citizens can vote in local elections and European Parliamentary elections, except for citizens of the Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta who are eligible to vote in all elections.

To vote in European Parliamentary elections in the UK rather than your home country you must also have filled in an additional form. If you are unsure please check with the elections office, tel 01695 585014 or email elections.office@westlancs.gov.uk 


Your West Lancashire

Information for where you live


Elections Office

Elections enquiry form


Tel: 01695 585014 or 585018

Fax: 01695 585050

Elections office
West Lancashire Borough Council
52 Derby Street
L39 2DF