What our duties are
As a public body, West Lancashire Borough Council is subject to the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 and the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED).
We must, in the exercise of all our functions, have due regard to these three aims:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
The Equality Act explains that the second aim (advancing equality of opportunity) involves, in particular:
- Removing or minimising disadvantages suffered by people due to their protected characteristics.
- Taking steps to meet the needs of people with certain protected characteristics where these are different from the needs of other people.
- Encouraging people with certain protected characteristics to participate in public life or in other activities where their participation is disproportionately low.
More information about the PSED can be found on the website of the Equality and Human Rights Commission (external link).
Under the duty we must publish objectives and information showing how our employees and citizens who share a protected characteristic are affected by our services and functions.