The Local Government Act 2000 required all councils in England and Wales to introduce new political structures which provided a clear role for the council, the executive and non executive councillors.
One of the key roles for non executive councillors is to undertake an overview and scrutiny role for the council. The overview and scrutiny role involves reviewing policies of the council, helping to develop policies for the council, involvement with best value reviews, scrutinising organisations external to the council and holding the executive to account.
In West Lancashire overview and scrutiny operates through two scrutiny committees.
The Committee conducts in depth reviews/policy development as set out in its work programme.
The Committee considers, as part of its routine work:
Items referred from "Members Update" at the request of a Member
The Member Development Commission will continue its work during 2017/18 as will the 'Public Involvement at Meetings Working Group'.
Following a request for ideas for the Committee's Work Programme 2017/18, the following potential topics were submitted.
(1) Community Involvement in Service Delivery
(2) Environmental drivers to boost the future economy
(3) Grass cutting schedule in Aughton
(4) Availability of Affordable Housing
(5) Maintenance of public land in Skelmersdale
(6) Provision of a footbridge - Derby Street Railway Bridge
(7) Provision of a footbridge over the canal at Heathfields, Burscough
(8) Local Plan - Ormskirk (2015) - Progress of update on actions
(9) Maintenance of footpaths/gutters - Town Green Lane, Aughton, with particular reference to
footpath opposite Town Green School
(10) State of Ormskirk roads, pavements, with particular reference to Liverpool Road (Fire Station)
entrance to the town
(11) Speeding traffic, non-compliance with 20mph speed limit, with particular reference to Barnes
Road, Skelmersdale and related matters
(12) Pedestrian safety A577 proposals (Half Mile Island)
(13) Climate Change initiatives - assistance of local communities
(14) The Role of Parish Councils
If you have any comments on the topics submitted or would like to suggest topics for inclusion in future work programmes, contact Cathryn Jackson, Principal Overview and Scrutiny Officer.
If you want to find out more about the work of the Committees, get access to agendas and minutes, attend a meeting, etc, visit Council committees and meetings