West Lancashire Borough Council Homepage

Who pays council tax?

Each home is billed for council tax, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented. The bill is based on the value of the property compared with others in the borough.

If the property is empty, or is not anyone's main home - or the people who live there are under 18 - the owner will be responsible for the bill. In some instances the owner of the property will be liable for payment of the bill instead of the resident (eg care homes, nursing homes, some hostels, houses of multi-occupation).


Where your money goes

Council tax is split between the Borough Council, the County Council, the Lancashire Police Authority, Lancashire Combined Fire Authority and some Parish Councils. More information about where your money goes is available in the information leaflets below:

Related information


Last Updated: 3/7/2014

Popular tasks
Here to help
Here to listen
Ideas to inspire
Your West Lancs

Enter your house, street or postcode to find information about where you live


West Lancashire Borough Council, 52 Derby Street, Ormskirk, West Lancashire L39 2DF
Tel: 01695 577177 | Email: customer.services@westlancs.gov.uk