West Lancashire Borough Council Homepage

Variation to existing premises licences

Variation applications

If you want to make any changes to what is authorised by your premises licence, you are required to make an application to vary the licence.

Possible changes include:
a) varying the hours during which a licensable activity is permitted;
b) adding licensable activities;
c) amending, adding or removing conditions within a licence;
d) and altering any aspect of the layout of the premises which is shown on the plan.


Please refer to the licence fees, licensing policy and the help and guidance sections of our website when making your application.


However, depending on the proposed changes, it may be possible for you to submit a ‘Minor Variation’.





By post:

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes, after the 28 day consultation period has expired if no representations have been received from Responsible Authorities or Interested Parties, then the variation is granted as applied for. The amended licence will be issued to you shortly after.


A copy of the application will be provided by the Licensing Unit to the Responsible Authorities by no later than the first working day after the application is received.


Please note: this only related to applications submitted online. You are required to serve a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the “responsible authorities” on the same day as the application is given to the Licensing Unit if posting the application.

The consultation period is 28 days from receipt of the application. At the end of the consultation period if no representations have been made the licence will be granted and issued with a further 2 weeks.

If relevant representations are made against the application, a hearing will be held within 20 working days after end of consultation period, where the matter will be decided by the Licensing Sub-Committee.

A decision notice will be sent within 10 working days of the determination.



Minor Variation applications

In order to make minor amendments to the licensable activities and conditions on your licence, an application for a Minor Variation may be submitted.

The following variations are excluded from the minor variation process:

  • extend licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol for consumption on or off the premises between the hours of 23:00 and 07:00;
  • to increase the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold or supplied for consumption on or off the premises.




By post:

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes, tacit Consent will apply.

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Council by the end of the target period.


You must advertise your application for a period of 10 working days starting on the first working day after the application was made to the licensing authority.

During this period, the Licensing Authority will decide to consult which (if any) Responsible Authorities it considers appropriate.

Following this consultation period (consultation period is 14 days from the day after the application is received), a decision must be made by the Licensing Authority within a further 5 working days.



Change of Designated Premises Supervisor

Premises Licences that authorise the sale of alcohol must specify an individual in the role of Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). If you wish to nominate a new Designated Premises Supervisor on a premises licence, you must submit the application and accompanying consent form.





By post:

The consent form must also accompany any application for variation of DPS.


Related information

Last Updated: 5/13/2011

Popular tasks
Here to help
Here to listen
Ideas to inspire
Your West Lancs

Enter your house, street or postcode to find information about where you live

West Lancashire Borough Council, 52 Derby Street, Ormskirk, West Lancashire L39 2DF
Tel: 01695 577177 | Email: customer.services@westlancs.gov.uk