Consent to distribute printed material
The council is now able to enforce new powers to clampdown on litter problems caused by free printed material - like leaflets and flyers - being left on parked cars. It is now an offence to distribute free printed material at 34 car parks across the Borough (see below for list) without permission. Anyone caught distributing without consent could be issued with a fixed penalty notice of £150 or prosecuted.
If you want to distribute such material in these areas you must apply for a consent, for which there is a fee. If the council thinks the distribution will give rise to litter, consent will not be given. Additionally anyone with a consent who creates litter will be refused further consents or have their existing one cancelled.
Any consents given will detail when distribution can take place and what form of litter clearance will be required after the distribution. For example, applicants will be required to visit the site after 6.00pm on the day of the distribution to collect and properly dispose of any material deposited on the floor by car owners.
How to apply for consent
If you would like to apply, please do so in writing at least 14 days before the proposed initial distribution to: Andrew Hill (Environmental Protection and Community Safety Manager), Community Services, West Lancashire Borough Council, Robert Hodge Centre, Stanley Way, Skelmersdale WN8 8EE or by email to email@example.com
When applying you should include the following information:
- Proposed date of distribution
- Proposed location
- Who the distribution is to be undertaken by
- What actions are proposed to prevent any litter arising from the distribution
- The number of leaflets to be distributed
- The name of the company or organisation benefiting from the distribution (i.e. who or what are the leaflets advertising)
You will be notified of the decision within 14 days. The likely fee for a consent will be £80 per car park per distribution (please note: more involved applications/consents may incur a fee higher than this). To discuss applying for a consent, contact the Environmental Protection Team based within Community Services on 01695 577177 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Car parks affected
The new order banning the distributing of printed material is valid at the following car parks:
- In Burscough: Mill Lane, School Lane, Smithy Walk, Station Approach,
- In Ormskirk: 52 Derby Street and Westec House, Hants Lane/Burscough Street, Hutton Way - Aughton Street, Lunesdale - Moorgate, Market Way - Moorgate, Moor Street Bus Station, Park Pool - Park Road, rear of Tesco's - Park Road, Railway Approach, Southport Road/Green Lane, Station Approach, Styles, Wheatsheaf
- In Skelmersdale: Digmoor Parade, Egerton, Gardiners Place, Gerrard Place, Gillibrands Road, Gladden Place, Greenhey Place, Lyndale - Ashurst, Priorswood Place, Prospect Place, Sandy Lane Car Parks (both sides of the centre, including spaces adjacent to Uppingham), Seddon Place, Southway - Co-op Bank site, Westgate, Yeadon (adjacent to the Police Station and the Library)
- In Up Holland: Hall Green, Tithebarn Street