West Lancs logo

Pay to stay

It was announced earlier this year that the Government was planning to introduce a ‘Pay to stay’ scheme for Council tenants across the United Kingdom from April 2017. This could have meant council tenants in West Lancashire who earned more than £31,000 having to pay increased rent - possibly up to levels in the private housing market.

It is estimated that some 1,700 Council tenants in West Lancashire could have been affected by the new rules and could possibly have faced rent rises. The new rules would have applied to all tenants, except those receiving housing benefit or universal credit. There would have been no exemption for pensioners.

However, the government has decided not to bring this plan into force in that form after reviewing the proposals.