The rural parish of Dalton lies to the north of Up
Holland and east of Ormskirk. The landscape is dominated by Ashurst
Hill, 570 feet above sea level, which is crowned by a beacon tower
re-erected in 1768 by Lord Skelmersdale when a French invasion was
regarded as imminent. Watches were stationed at the beacon day and
night to light the fire if the enemy landed.
From the Beacon and the surrounding fields there are extensive
views across the West Lancashire plain and, on a clear day, the
mountains of Wales and the Lake District can be seen.
'Daltone' was listed in the Domesday Survey when Uctred held a
ploughland. Soon after the Norman Conquest, Dalton became part of
the Barony of Manchester and was still held to be part of the
Manchester fee as late as 1733.