This is West Lancashire's most northerly parish and has a
lengthy foreshore along the south bank of the River Ribble. It also
extends along the west bank of the river Douglas.
Eskyth, as in Hesketh Bank, is a Scandinavian word for racecourse.
Not that there is a racecourse in Hesketh Bank today but many years
ago a bygone lord of the manor held horse races on the sands where
the Douglas joins the Ribble.
The area was once largely waste and marshland, washed up at high
tide by the sea, but it now has a strong market gardening industry
thanks to the rich soils. Agriculture, farming and
growing are at the heart of the community and there are many
nurseries and outlets which are open to the public.
"Becconsall' is derived from beacon - as of the type used in
The chapel of Becconsall was erected in 1764 and stands on
slightly rising ground on the left bank of the Douglas near a bend
of the river, which flows past the building on the south and
Website: Hesketh with Becconsall Parish Council
Hesketh with Becconsall Parish