Holland, created as a parish council in 1983, lies on the slope of
a ridge to the west of Wigan. It is a place of great antiquity. A
figure of victory, probably of Roman workmanship, was found in a
field at Up Holland in the 19th century and old records indicate
early Celtic or Welsh settlement in the area.
The area is mentioned in the Domesday Book which records the
Steinulf held two plough-lands in Holland and in 1202 the land
passed to Mathew de Holland whose descendants gained wealth and
power. In 1307 Robert Holland endowed his Chapel at Up Holland
which eventually became a Benedictine Priory. Edward II stayed
there in 1323 when he visited Wigan.
Up Holland's many historic features include cobble stone roads with
steep gradients and the ancient parish church of St Thomas the
Martyr, which has in its churchyard the grave of George Lyon, Up
Holland's famous highwayman, who was executed in 1815. Up Holland
was a market town in early 16th century and was a busy centre of
home industry and hand loom weaving.
The 20th century brought many changes. The mining industry ground
to a halt and while the land, stone quarries and brickworks gave
work to a section of the community many were unemployed or sought
work in other towns.
Up Holland Parish