- Council wants to hear your views on important stage for the Local Plan
Monday, March 13, 2017
Council wants to hear your views on important stage for the Local Plan
West Lancashire Borough Council is working on a new Local Plan and wants to hear your views on this extremely important document.
A Local Plan guides how the borough develops over a specific time period. It can cover everything from where new homes, employment sites and retail and leisure facilities should be situated to policies on transport, local services, energy and the environment.
The current Local Plan covers up to 2027 and the Council is in the early stages of forming the next Plan. It is asking local people to comment on a number of significant topics which will shape how the Plan develops.
This is called a Scoping and Issues & Options Consultation and the topics include:
- How much housing and employment land development will be required each year
- What period of time the Local Plan should cover
- Scenarios on how new development should be spread across the borough
- Consideration of the infrastructure required to support new development
In total there are five options papers that residents can read and give their views on. They also cover other important issues such as the economy, the environment and social issues such as affordable housing and providing for an ageing population.
Councillor John Hodson, portfolio holder for Planning, said: “I would urge people living and working in West Lancashire to take part in this consultation as this will influence how the new Local Plan takes shape. This will in time dictate how the new Local Plan guides how West Lancashire develops over time.”
The consultation starts on Thursday 16 March 2017 and you can view all the relevant documents and complete the survey form at Local Plan from that date. The closing date for people to respond is Friday 28 April 2017. If you are unable to access the survey online you can also send your written comments to firstname.lastname@example.org, or Local Plan Team, West Lancashire Borough Council, 52 Derby Street, Ormskirk, L39 2DF.
You can also see the documents at the Council offices at 52 Derby St, Ormskirk, and the Customer Service Point at the Concourse Shopping Centre, Skelmersdale, as well as at libraries in the Borough.
A number of public consultation events, for which places must be booked, are also planned for the following dates:
- Monday 27 March, 7pm-9pm, The Grove, Burscough
- Wednesday 29 March, 7pm-9pm, Ecumenical Centre, Skelmersdale
- Monday 3 April, 7pm-9pm, Parbold WI Hall, The Common, Parbold
- Thursday 6 April, 7pm-9pm, Chapel Gallery, Ormskirk
- Monday 10 April, 7pm-9pm, Halsall Memorial Hall, Halsall
- Wednesday 12 April, 7pm-9pm, Tarleton Academy, Tarleton
To book a place at one of the above events or for further information on the consultation, please call the Council’s Local Plan Team on 01695 585194. All reasonable comments received will be considered in taking the Local Plan forward.