Tuesday, January 12, 2016
Financial help for residents and businesses affected by the flood
Residents and businesses affected by the flooding caused by heavy rains between Christmas and New Year can apply for financial help.
West Lancashire Borough Council has been working hard to support the Environment Agency, the Police, Lancashire County Council and emergency services with regard to flooding which has affected parts of the borough, and the county as a whole.
As well as working on the clean-up operation the Council is advising companies and people living in West Lancashire of financial assistance they may be eligible for.
More details are available at flooding.
Councillor Ian Moran, Leader of West Lancashire Borough Council, said: “This has been the biggest flooding event in West Lancashire for a very long time, with more than 200 properties affected. The Council is very sympathetic to residents caught up in the floods caused by the recent heavy rains. The effects of flooding can be devastating. Residents and businesses may be eligible for some financial assistance to help them on the road to recovery.”
- Residents whose home has been affected by internal flooding will be eligible for a £500 one-off payment. The Council has started the process of making these payments. They will also be able to have their Council Tax bills suspended for three months. Wherever possible the Council will look to provide this support automatically without requiring an application form.
- Residents who do not have any house insurance or have other particular needs can apply to a local discretionary fund which is being administered by the Community Foundation for Lancashire. More details, including how to apply, are available at Lancashire Flood Recovery Fund (external link).
- Longer term, households that have been flooded may wish to consider whether they might be eligible for a flood resilience grant of up to £5,000. More details of this scheme will be available in the near future.
The Council has a record of properties that have been reported to it as having suffered internal flooding. If your home suffered internal flooding due to heavy rains between Christmas and New Year and you haven’t already informed the Council you can email EnvHealth.Admin@westlancs.gov.uk.
- Business Rates Relief – Temporary relief in relation to Business Rates can be applied for by contacting the Business Rates Team on 01695 587158 or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business Support – Small and medium sized businesses (up to 250 employees) can apply for grants. Details of the business support package are available at Business Boost Lancashire (external link). For assistance businesses should contact Boost Business Lancashire’s gateway team on 0800 488 0057. Applications must be made by 28 February 2016.
- Support for Farmers – This support scheme is administered by DEFRA and details can be found at DEFRA (external link). Applications must be made by 1 April 2016.
The Council is contacting businesses that we are aware of who have been affected by the recent flooding. However if a business-owner wishes to speak to the Borough Council for advice on any of these potential support schemes, including support with the application forms, businesses can contact the Borough Council’s Business Development Officer on 01695 712559.