West Lancs logo
Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Council to help residents dispose of flood damaged goods

West Lancashire Borough Council is continuing to help residents following flooding in West Lancashire over the Christmas and New Year period.

As well as assisting the lead agencies such as Lancashire County Council and the Environment Agency, and the police and fire service, the Council has been cleaning up sludge and debris from the roads and footways. We are continuing to help residents dispose of furniture and other household goods damaged by floods over the Christmas and New Year period.

Council vehicles will visit areas affected by the flooding to collect materials such as carpets and furniture and dispose of them. This will be a free service and the visits will take place on specific dates up to 31 January.

Councillor Kevin Wilkie, portfolio holder for Street Scene, said: “The Council is very sympathetic to residents affected by the floods caused by the recent heavy rains. I am very pleased that we are able to offer this free service to residents to help them at this difficult time.”

The Council has a record of properties that have been reported to it as having suffered internal flooding. Vehicles will be visiting those areas at the following dates:

  • Monday 11, 18 and 25 January: Parbold area
  • Tuesday 12, 19 and 26 January : Other areas affected by the floods
  • Wednesday 13, 20, and 27 January: Ormskirk area
  • Friday 15, 22, and 29 January: Burscough area

For more details please visit flooding or call the Council 01695 577177.

Residents will have to bring the goods out of the houses themselves or make arrangements for this to be done. They should also ensure that they have no further need for the goods, e.g. for any insurance claim. Council staff are not able to enter people’s homes to remove goods.

If your home suffered internal flooding due to heavy rains between Christmas and New Year and you haven’t already informed the council you can email EnvHealth.Admin@westlancs.gov.uk.



Your West Lancashire

Information for where you live


Environmental Protection Team


01695 577177