West Lancs logo
Friday, August 04, 2017

Apply now for grants for home adaptations

People who need major adaptations to their homes can now apply directly to West Lancashire Borough Council for funding.

Disabled facilities grants are available for major adaptations that would normally cost over £1,000 such as level access showers, stairlifts and ramps.
An occupational therapist will assess each request for assistance to determine the adaptations that are required.

Smaller adaptations or equipment such as handrails and bath seats are provided by Lancashire County Council who can be contacted on 0300 123 6720.

Councillor Kevin Wright, portfolio holder for Health, said: “These grants can make a big difference to the lives of disabled people and their families. If you have a disability and need a major adaptation to your home to improve your quality of life then please contact West Lancashire Borough Council.”

To apply directly to the Council, you must be aged 19 or over, be a home-owner, private tenant or housing association tenant and live in West Lancashire.

If you are aged 19 or over and live with family but are not the owner or tenant of the property, the owner or tenant can apply for a grant on your behalf. You must also be disabled or have a long-term health condition that restricts your ability to carry out basic daily tasks such as bathing or getting up and down the stairs. The grants are means tested so all applicants will be asked to complete a financial assessment before being assessed by an occupational therapist.

For further information or to apply please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01695 585 279 or privatesectorhousing@westlancs.gov.uk. People can also find out more information by visiting disabled facilities grants.

Adaptations for West Lancashire Borough Council tenants are dealt with separately. Contact Lancashire County Council on 0300 123 6720 and ask for an occupational therapist assessment.

Disabled facilities grants are available for children. Referrals for a grant must come from a paediatric occupational therapist. If you do not have an occupational therapist, contact Lancashire County Council on 0300 123 6701 or speak to your GP.

Your West Lancashire

Information for where you live