West Lancs logo
Monday, December 18, 2017

Man prosecuted after waste dumped illegally

A Skelmersdale man has been prosecuted after a large amount of household rubbish was found dumped on a country lane.

At Wigan Magistrates Court Martyn Allen, of Hawksclough, Skelmersdale, also known as Martyn Peet, pleaded guilty to failing to provide waste transfer notes and failing to take reasonable steps to prevent waste from being dumped illegally. He was fined £120, and ordered to pay costs of £683.89 and pay a £30 victim surcharge, making a total of £833.89.

The Council took action after receiving complaints about a large amount of household waste covering an area of five square metres was dumped on Long Heys Lane, Dalton. The rubbish included a large television, children’s toys, clothes, and school books. 

The court heard that staff traced some the rubbish back to a resident who told them she had paid Mr Allen to remove it.

During the investigation which brought the case to court, Mr Allen was interviewed by Council officers and admitted he was paid to remove the rubbish. He said he stored it in his garden, but then paid two men he saw in the street to take it away along with some of his own waste.

As the rubbish was on private land the Council asked the landowner to clear the waste, which they did.

As the festive season is about to start, the Council would like to remind householders they could be fined if they fail to carry out the proper checks required to ensure any waste they have removed is disposed of legally. Householders can check if anyone who removes waste from them has a waste carriers’ licence by contacting the Environment Agency on 03708 506506 or going on their website www.gov.uk (external link).

Anyone removing waste as part of a business must have a waste carriers licence and give waste transfer notes to whomever they take waste from.

Councillor Kevin Wright said: "With Christmas coming up this case is a timely reminder of the consequences for people if they do not ensure their rubbish is disposed of properly. Many residents have extra household rubbish after the festive season and may be tempted to pay someone to remove it for them. But if it is dumped illegally those found guilty could pay a heavy price."

If you think waste has been disposed of illegally then you can report this to the Council 24 hours a day on our website flytipping. Or you can call 01695 577177 between 8.30am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday.


Your West Lancashire

Information for where you live