Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman looks at individual complaints about councils
and some other organisations providing local public services It also investigates complaints about
all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) for people who selffund
their care.

Housing Ombudsman

The Housing Ombudsman deals with complaints about housing management, repairs, leaseholders, transfers and mutual exchanges. Please note that in order to encourage local resolution of complaints, the Housing Ombudsman will not investigate a complaint unless it has been referred by a designated person (an MP, a local councillor or a tenant panel recognised by the council) or eight weeks have elapsed since the final stage of the council’s internal complaints procedure.