You have a right to ask us to erase information we hold about you without undue delay.
However, this right will only apply where:
• The processing of the personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose which we originally collected it for.
• We are relying on your consent to process the data and you withdraw that consent.
• If you successfully object to the data processing under the Right to Object.
• If the data is being unlawfully processed, e.g. we have processed data for a purpose we were not entitled to.
• If we are obliged to erase the data to comply with a legal obligation.
• If the data was provided on line when you were a child and you or your parent(s) gave consent at the time. However we do not think that the council holds any data that falls in this category.
Where we have a lawful reason to process your data and it is kept in accordance with our retention schedule then we will not be obliged to erase it.
Where you agreed to take part in a consultation or you signed up for a newsletter and withdraw your consent then we will be obliged to erase it.
Where we have disclosed your personal information to others, we will take all reasonable steps to inform them about your request for erasure.
The right to erasure will not apply where:
• The data is required for information purposes.
• We need the information to provide a service which we are obliged to provide by law, or we believe processing the data is necessary for a task in the public interest or in exercise of our official authority.
• If records are required for archiving in the public interest or for scientific or historical interest.
• If we require the data to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim.
A task carried out in the public interest or in exercise of our official authority will include a wide range of the Council’s functions, including:
• Assessing and collecting Council Tax and Business Rates
• Processing anti-social behaviour complaints
• Refuse collection
• FOI requests
You can exercise your right to erasure by completing our Erasure Request Form and sending it to us: Senior Admin and Elections Officer, West Lancashire Borough Council, 52 Derby Street, Ormskirk, Lancashire L39 2DF or emailing it to us: firstname.lastname@example.org