New Premises Licence applications

New applications

Under the Licensing Act 2003 a Premises Licence is required for any of the following:

  • Retail sale or the supply of alcohol
  • Performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling events
  • Performing live music (exemptions apply)
  • Dancing (exemptions apply)
  • Supplying hot food or drink between 11.00pm and 05.00am

The Council is the licensing authority for its area, dealing with all licensing functions relating to the above-mentioned activities. The Council must have regard to the Government's statutory guidance (external link) issued under Section 182 of the Act when dealing with its licensing responsibilities and has been required to prepare a Licensing Policy, which explains the factors that the Council will consider when examining applications for licences and for monitoring compliance with licence conditions. The Act, the statutory guidance and the policy seek to achieve four main objectives, which have equal importance:

  • Prevention of crime and disorder
  • Protection of children from harm
  • Protection of public safety
  • Prevention of nuisance

Who can apply for a Premises Licence?

The principal category of those who can apply for a premises licence is anyone who proposes to carry on a business involving licensable activities on the premises. This covers any individual (aged at least 18) or companies, unincorporated bodies, partnerships, etc. Recognised clubs, charities, a proprietor of educational establishments, health service bodies and a chief officer of police may also apply for a premises licence.

Applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the UK. When applications are submitted for individuals or partnerships, proof of this right will need to be included.

Data protection is important to us. Information on how we handle and protect your data including our Corporate Privacy Policy can be found here.


Please refer to the licence fees, licensing policy and the help and guidance sections of our website when making your application.


Will tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent applies to every type of application with the exception of 'minor variation' which will not offer tacit consent.

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard by the end of the target completion period which is 28 days (not including possible committee hearing date) from the date of submission of all correct and relevant information.