Friday, August 09, 2019

Give your views on proposed changes to licensing policy

Here is your chance to have a say on the official document the Borough Council uses when licensing pubs, bars and other licensed operations across West Lancashire.

The authority is inviting local people and businesses to comment on its draft Licensing Policy. This document provides all interested parties and the public with guidance on the approach that the Council will take under the Licensing Act 2003.

Between now and 31 October, the Council wants views on its draft policy to ensure it reflects the opinions of residents and all businesses – not just licensed premises – within the Borough.

The document covers the sale and supply of alcohol in pubs and clubs, late night refreshment and the provision of regulated entertainment.

The Council is proposing to change the policy to ensure it reflects current legislation and guidance, as well as the licensing issues that are evident across the Borough. The draft policy can be found on the Council’s website at

Councillor Kevin Wright, Portfolio Holder for Health and Community Safety said: “To ensure our licensing policy remains a practical working document, it’s essential that we get as much feedback from local people and business as possible.

“We are proposing to make changes to the licence review process to outline the options available, which includes setting out explicit expectations for licence breaches and/or criminal activity. We are also proposing to provide a clearer definition of public nuisance, which will help the authority to consider a wider context when examining contested applications."

The Council is writing to the police, fire service, members of the West Lancashire Community Safety Partnership, representatives of the licensed trade, residents’ groups and cultural organisations to get a wide range of views across the Borough.

To see the draft policy, visit licensing. A limited number of hard copies are available on request. You can submit your views via email or in writing to West Lancashire Borough Council Licensing Service, Robert Hodge Centre, Stanley Way, Skelmersdale WN8 8EE.

Your West Lancashire

Information for where you live