Park up and plug in
- 32 new electric vehicle charging points operational in council carparks
- £103,340 of funding secured for scheme
- Initiative will help council meet its green commitments
32 new electric vehicle charge points have been installed and are operational in West Lancashire, funded by Office of Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV), in partnership with BP Pulse Ltd.
The new charge points are located in Council-owned car parks, with each location having four new dual-outlet 7KW fast chargers. The car parks include Hants Lane, Wheatsheaf and The Stiles car parks in Ormskirk and Sandy Lane car park in Skelmersdale.
The Council secured a £103,340 (75%) grant from the On-Street Residential Charging Scheme (ORCS) fund to deliver the project. The remaining 25% of project costs have been covered by BP Pulse Ltd. The grant aims to help expand the charging network in locations where properties don’t have driveways or access to private off-street parking.
BP Pulse will operate the charge points, which will be available on either a pay-as-you-go or membership basis via the BP Pulse network. EV users should visit www.bppulse.co.uk or download the app to discover all the charging methods available.
Expanding the electric vehicle charging network is one of the commitments made when the Council adopted its Climate Change Strategy 2030 last year, following the climate emergency declaration back in 2019.
Councillor Ian Moran, Leader of the Council and portfolio holder for Economic Regeneration and Planning, said: "Expanding the Electric vehicle charging network will help to instil confidence in the move to electric vehicles, which is part of the Governments 'Road to Net Zero' Strategy. It's also an important part of our commitment to reducing our carbon footprint in West Lancashire and improving local air quality for the benefit of everyone in the Borough."
"Not everyone has a driveway where they can easily install a charging point, so being able to offer residents this facility within some of our car parks means there's less of a barrier to owning an electric vehicle."
"We along with other councils, are actively seeking government funding and commitments to ensure as many residents as possible have access to electric charging points throughout West Lancashire."
The charging facilities will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Normal pay and display tariffs to park while charging will remain in place when applicable.