West Lancs logo

Conditions of dropped kerbs

The following is a list of conditions relevant to the construction and the use of a domestic vehicle crossing after it has been completed:

Permitted types of vehicles: A domestic vehicle crossing may only be used by a private light goods or similar vehicle. It may not be used by heavy goods vehicles or mechanical equipment. If a delivery, such as a skip, is made into the property, and in doing so the delivery damages the crossing, any repairs will be the responsibility of the occupier.

Size of the crossing: The width of a standard crossing is 2.44 metres at the back of the public footway. This increases to about 4.58 metres at the kerbline. Crossings up to twice that width or two separate crossings may be built where there is sufficient space to leave a continuous length of two metres of unused space at the kerbline. A crossing, which covers the full frontage, may not be permitted.

Shared access: Where the occupiers of two adjoining properties share a driveway, and wish to build a double width crossing to serve the two sites, one occupier should act on behalf of both parties.

Two crossings at the same property: Where a request is made for two crossings to serve the property and the space available means that the area between them is at or close to the minimum limits, i.e. 2 metres in width, a decision will have to be made as to the shape of the crossing. Where there is an existing crossing it may mean that this also will have to be modified.

Parking within your property: Your application will not be approved unless you are able to provide a suitable parking area within your property, this must be at least 4.8 metres long, measured from the front of your house to the boundary of your property and 2.44 metres wide. There must be enough space around this area for pedestrian access. If the width of your property is more than 8m these conditions may not apply.

There may be instances where the above criteria are not met. In such cases approval may be given, subject to a site inspection by a Highway Inspector. The Highway Inspector's decision as to whether the application will be approved or refused is final.

No part of a vehicle parked within your property may project on to or over the highway. The crossing may not be used as a parking area and no part of it is exempted for the purpose of footway parking.

Hardstandings: Where you are intending to use gravel or a similar loose material for your hardstanding, you should consider the problem of some being carried on to the highway by the movement of the vehicle.

This is especially true where the surface comes up to the boundary. Where material of this type is used, concrete or blacktop should be laid in a 500mm strip from the boundary to the start of the gravelled area. This will help to reduce any problem. If the material is carried onto the highway it will be the responsibility of the occupier to remove it by sweeping etc.

Drainage: The parking area within your property must be built so that water does not drain from it across the footway. Suitable drainage must be provided within the boundaries of your property.

Standard finish: The standard finish to crossings is blacktop. This will be decided by Highways Maintenance Operations (HMO) when you apply for an estimate.

If at a later date after acceptance of the crossing by the Council, reinstatement work or changes in the road layout take place, they will try their utmost to match the finish, colour or shape of the blocks, but this cannot be guaranteed.

Street furniture: Where applicants have removed more of the wall or fence running along the boundary than is required by the size of the crossing, it should be understood that an item of street furniture, i.e. lamp post, telegraph pole, traffic sign etc., may be erected at any time in the footway outside the area of a crossing, even though this may obstruct an area where there is no wall or similar feature.

Obstacles to construction: If the proposed position of the access is obstructed by a road sign, lamp post, or tree, etc. the location should be altered to avoid the obstacle. If this is not feasible, a decision will have to be made by the relevant section as to whether the item should be removed or relocated.

If a statutory authority is required to carry out work by relocating a fire hydrant, telegraph pole etc. any charges for such work will be the responsibility of the applicant, who will be required to produce written proof of approval by the authority to HMO before a crossing can be built.

If an applicant wishes the crossing to be placed in a location other than that recommended by the HMO and this requires the relocation of a lamp post or similar item, which would not otherwise be necessary, he/she will be required to pay the full cost of relocation.

Alterations to your vehicle crossover: The Council may need to alter the layout of your vehicle crossover at any time, due to modifications in the footway or verge. Every effort will be made to maintain access to your property and the occupier of premises so affected will be given adequate notice of such works.

Safety: Any application for the construction of a domestic crossing may be refused or modified on the grounds of safety. The applicant must ensure that adequate sight lines are maintained to allow safe access to their property.

Gates across vehicle entrance: Gates fitted across the vehicle entrance to your property may in no circumstances open outwards across the footpath or carriageway (Highways Act 1980 - Section 153).

More information

For more information you can ring Lancashire Highways on 0845 053 0011, email highways@lancashire.gov.uk, visit the Lancashire Highways website (external link) or write to: Lancashire County Council, Highways Dept, PO Box 9, Guild House, Cross Street, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 8RD.