Applying for planning permission

You usually need planning permission if you are proposing building or engineering works or changing the use of buildings or land. You may also need consent if you want to display advertisements or signs, alter Listed Buildings or demolish buildings.
In addition to needing planning permission, most building work (including alterations) also requires approval under the Building Regulations.

From 1 September 2014, some development will also now need to pay a charge, called the Community Infrastructure Levy, upon commencement of their development. The charge only applies to certain types and sizes of development, and in the majority of cases householder applications will not meet the triggers for CIL.  CIL charges will be dependent on the size, use and location of the development. To find out more read our Community Infrastructure Levy pages.

We are experiencing a high volume of applications and communications by email, post and telephone.  There is currently a backlog of planning applications to be validated, which may impact on timescales and we may request an extension of time to determine some applications.  There is also a significant backlog of enforcement complaints which remain under investigation.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

To avoid any delay in the validation and registration of planning applications, all submissions should be made online via the Planning Portal.