Making your application
Where planning permission is needed, you will need to make a formal planning application to the Council.
- Submit a planning application online through the Planning Portal site. This is an independent organisation who make a service charge of £20.83 plus VAT for submitting the application. Applications with a fee below £60 do not incur this service charge. Please note that West Lancashire Borough Council are unable to accept initial payments for applications submitted via the Planning Portal.
- Submit an application by email, download the application form and send it together with the required information to email@example.com.
We are experiencing a high volume of applications and communications by email, post and telephone. There is currently a backlog of planning applications to be validated, which may impact on timescales and we may request an extension of time to determine some applications. There is also a significant backlog of enforcement complaints which remain under investigation.
To avoid any delay in the validation and registration of planning applications, all submissions should be made online via the Planning Portal.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
Where an application relates to residential development the Council supports the use of the Building For Life 12 standard for assessing the quality of schemes. More information on design matters can be found on the Planning Applications and Design page.
You can pay for your application in the following ways:
- Online with your credit or debit card using our planning payment form. An online payment facility is also available, if required, in the reception areas of the Council Offices at 52 Derby Street, Ormskirk and the Customer Service Point, 1st Floor, The Concourse, Skelmersdale.
- Internet Banking Service by logging onto your own bank account and transferring the fee to the Council's bank account.
- BACS transfer
The Council's preferred card payment method is debit card.
When paying by Internet Banking Service or BACS transfer it is essential that you quote the planning application number or quote 'planning' and provide the site location of the application so that when the payment is received the Council knows what the payment is for.
The Council's bank account details are:
National Westminster Bank Ltd
Account name: West Lancashire Borough Council
Account number: 86998404
Sort code: 01-06-45
How planning application information will be used
The personal data you provide with your application will be used as part of the Council's statutory planning duties in processing planning and related applications and some information will be published. We require your personal information to enable us to determine your application.
For further information about this notice or how we use your personal data please see:
- The Council's Corporate Privacy Notice
Hard copies are available on request.