Allotments allow you to grow your own fresh vegetables, fruit and flowers, enjoy the fresh air and have some healthy exercise.
Council-run allotment sites
There are three council run allotment sites in West Lancashire, providing 27 plots:
- Tower Hill, Ormskirk, 11 plots
- Clucas Gardens, Ormskirk, ten plots
- Owen Avenue, Ormskirk, six plots
All are managed directly by the Council. Allotments cost £35 a year for a full plot and £17.50 a year for half a plot.
How to apply for a council allotment
Unfortunately there are no vacancies for cleared plots at the moment. There is currently a waiting list. You can ask for your name to be added to the list by contacting Sue Austin on 01695 585146. Alternatively you can download and complete the form below and send it back in to us at the address provided.
If you are offered a plot you will be required to sign a simple tenancy agreement, which sets out your rights and responsibilities.
Other allotment sites
There are some other allotment sites in the borough which are run independently by associations. These are:
- Lawns Avenue, Up Holland, 17 plots: Lawns Avenue, is owned and run by Up Holland Parish Council. Please contact the Parish Clerk, contact details can be found in the Council Information System under Parish Councils.
- Houghtons Road, Skelmersdale, 26 plots: Houghtons Road is run by Skelmersdale Horticultural Society. Please contact Alan Angell on 07598 761266 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability.
- Tawd Valley, Skelmersdale (located alongside Houghtons Road allotments), 34 plots: run by Skelmersdale Horticultural Society. Please contact Alan Angell on 07598 761266 or email email@example.com for availability.
- Liverpool Road, Skelmersdale, 22 plots: Liverpool Road is run by the Liverpool Road Allotment Society. Please contact via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Richmond Avenue, Burscough, 14 plots: Richmond Avenue is now run by the Burscough Allotment Society. Please contact Jan Kellie, 7 Abbeydale, Burscough, L40 5SU. Tel: 01704 894145 or email email@example.com.
For more information about allotments