Some empty properties are entitled to a council tax discount, these are detailed below.
Unoccupied and unfurnished properties undergoing major structural work:
- Phase 1 – 50% discount for up to 12 months or 6 months after works are completed, whichever is the shorter
- Phase 2 – full Charge
- Phase 3 – charge of 150% council tax if dwelling left empty for more than two years and not actively being marketed for sale
Unoccupied and unfurnished properties:
- Phase 1 – 50% discount for up to 6 months
- Phase 2 – full charge
- Phase 3 – Charge of 150% council tax if dwelling is left empty for more than two years and not actively being marketed for sale
Unoccupied properties that are substantially furnished:
- Phase 1 – 50% discount for 6 months from the date on which the property became unoccupied
- After 6 months full charge for the period the property remains unoccupied and substantially furnished
Please note that the local discounts referred to above, apply to the property, not to an individual’s account. Therefore once the relevant period of time has been spent, the discount will not be applied again until the property has been occupied for 6 weeks or more.
How to apply
To apply please contact our Customer Contact Centre to discuss on 0300 790 0381.
Some unoccupied properties may be exempt from paying council tax. Visit our exemption pages to find out more.