Insurance - Making a Claim

Information for Solicitors

The following information is provided to assist you in submitting Public Liability and Employers' Liability claims directly onto the portal:

West Lancashire Borough Council

Public Liability and Employers Liability Insurance provider:

  •  Zurich Municipal Insurance Company PLC
  •  Policy No: QLA-07H080-0193
  •  Portal ID: C00108

Please note that we are not the Highways Authority. If you are unsure as to whether we are responsible for the incident location please send a plan via email to and we will confirm if we are responsible for the incident locus.

Information for Claimants

If you are thinking about making a claim against the Council for property damage or personal injury, you must submit details of the claim in writing or via email to

You are free to seek independent legal advice from a solicitor to act on your behalf.

Making a claim for property damage

If you wish to make a claim for property damage then please complete and return the below Property Damage Claim Form to us via email at or via post to the address on the top right hand side of the form.

We also request that you submit any photographic evidence in support of your claim.

If you are claiming for vehicle damage then proof of ownership of the vehicle must also be provided in the form of a vehicle registration document (V5) showing your name or a hire or lease agreement showing your name.

Download Property Damage Claim Form (61.2kb)

Hard copies of the form are available upon request.

Making a claim for personal injury

If you wish to make a claim for personal injury you must submit a letter of claim to advise us why you hold West Lancashire Borough Council responsible.  

Letters of claim can be submitted by email to or via post to Insurance Services, 52 Derby Street, Ormskirk, Lancashire, L39 2DF.

You are free to seek independent legal advice from a solicitor to act on your behalf.

You will need to include the following information in your letter of claim:

Personal details

Name, address, date of birth, NI number and contact number of the injured person.

Incident details

Describe what happened, giving the time, date and exact location using static landmarks, such as house numbers or road junctions and your direction of travel. You must also confirm or deny any previous knowledge of the defect. Detail why you hold the Council responsible for this incident

Details of injury

Tell us about the injury you sustained.  If you sought medical attention please tell us when and where you received treatment.

Privacy notices

For information on what to expect when the Council's insurance section collects or is provided with personal information, please see the Council's Corporate Privacy Notice (pdf 416kb).