Reporting accidents in the work place

For most businesses a reportable accident, dangerous occurrence or case of disease is a rare event. However, employers, self-employed or persons in control of work premises should be aware that they have duties under Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 also know as RIDDOR.

What, when and how to report?

The RIDDOR (external link) website provides information on what, when and how to report accidents and incidents, as well as the ability to report these occurrences online. However, the following information is provided for assistance to employers. 

Cases of death or major injuries

If there is an accident arising out of, or is connected with work and your employee or a self-employed person working for you or on your premises is killed or suffers a major injury; or a member of the public is killed or taken to hospital from the scene – you must notify the Incident Contact Centre without delay on 0845 300 9923.

You will be asked to provide brief details about yourself and the accident, and within ten days of making the telephone call you must forward a completed accident report form – F2508, which can be completed online via how to make a RIDDOR report (external link).

Cases of over-seven day injuries

An over-seven-day injury is one which is not ‘major’ but results in the injured person being away from work or unable to do the full range of their normal duties for more than seven days. When calculating more than seven consecutive days, the day of the accident should not be counted, only the period after it. Any days the injured person would not normally have been expected to work, such as weekends, rest days or holidays, must be included. Reports must be made of an over-seven-day injury within 15 days of the accident, which can be completed online via how to make a RIDDOR report (external link).

Over-three-day injuries

You must still keep a record of the accident if the worker has been incapacitated for more than three consecutive days. The details must include: date and time of the accident, full name, occupation, nature of injury, place where the accident happened and a brief description of the circumstances in which the accident happened. If you are an employer who must keep an accident book under the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979, that record will be enough.

Cases of disease

These should be reported as soon as a doctor notifies you that your employee suffers from a reportable work-related disease. More information and the ability to report a case of disease online can  found on RIDDOR types of reportable incidents (external link).

Dangerous occurrences

These are certain listed near-miss events. Not every near-miss event must be reported. More information and the ability to report a dangerous occurrence can be found on RIDDOR types of reportable incidents (external link).

Gas incidents

If you are a distributor, filler, importer or supplier of flammable gas and you learn, either directly or indirectly, that someone has died or suffered a major injury in connection with the gas you distributed, filled, imported or supplied, then this must be reported online using the appropriate form. More information and the ability to report a gas incident can be found on RIDDOR types of reportable incidents (external link).


Data protection is important to us. Information on how we handle and protect your data including our Corporate Privacy Policy can be found here.