House to house collections

Important Information

When a person or organisation goes 'door to door' to collect goods or money, a House to House Collection Permit is required. As a general rule, house to house collections cannot be undertaken unless prior permission has been obtained from the Council. However, some charities can obtain an exemption from the Home Office when a national collection is being made.

It is a legal requirement to obtain a House to House Permit (or exemption) to ensure collectors are properly authorised and that money is collected in a secure way and the total proceeds collected are properly accounted for.

Prior permission can be obtained by completing the House to House Collections application form. There is no cost for a Permit, but there are rules to be followed in applying.

If you are collecting on behalf of a charity, confirmation from this charity must be provided with any application.

All House to House Collection Permits issued by the Council are restricted in order to enable charities to raise money without their collections clashing with those of other charities. All applicants are therefore advised to check the online House to House Collections diary on our Public Registers section to ensure the date or dates required are available before submitting the application form.

A statement of return form will be sent out to collectors along with the Permit. This form refers to details of the collection including the amount of money collected. The statement of return must be completed and returned to the Council within 28 days from the date of collection.



By post:

Data protection is important to us. Information on how we handle and protect your data including our Corporate Privacy Policy can be found here.

Will tacit consent apply?

Applications for a House to House Collection Permit can take 14 days to process. There is no right of appeal against any application which is refused.

Tacit consent will not apply due to public safety.