Temporary use notices

Important Information

These notices allow the use of premises for gambling, where there is no premises licence, but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling.

A temporary use notice may only be granted to a person or company holding a relevant operating licence.

The same premises can not be subject to a TUN for more than 21 days in any 12 month period, but may be the subject of several notices provided that the total does not exceed 21 days.

A notice may not be given in respect of a vehicle.

A temporary use notice must be lodged with the Council not less than 3 months and 1 day before the day on which the gambling event will begin.

Within 7 days of the date of the notice, it must be copied to the:

  • Gambling Commission 
  • Police 
  • HM Revenue & Customs 

The Council and the above Responsible Authorities are permitted to make objections in relation to a temporary use notice. Objections must be made within 14 days of the date of the notice, a hearing will then be held to determine the notice.

If no objections are received, the event can proceed as applied for. A copy of the notice must then be displayed on the premises for the duration of the event.


Data protection is important to us. Information on how we handle and protect your data including our Corporate Privacy Policy can be found here.