COVID-19 : whilst many services are operating normally, we are still operating under Covid-19 protocols and therefore changes have been made to the Council's licensing processes, including a requirement to submit applications and supporting information electronically to avoid potential delay.
We have prepared a summary (PDF, 172Kb) of the current changes to assist applicants, licence holders and interested parties. More information can be obtained from the Licensing Service at 01695 585015 or email@example.com
Street Trading is defined as 'the selling or exposing or offering for sale of any article (including a living thing) in a street.'
Designation of streets
A 'Street' includes any road, footway or other area to which the public have access without payment. Therefore, the Street Trading controls can also apply to public and private car parks, shopping centres and leisure areas.
The consent streets in West Lancashire are all streets other than 'prohibited' streets. Therefore consent streets include all forecourts, roads, footways or other areas adjacent to the streets, including car parks.
The whole of the District of West Lancashire is a 'consent area' and to trade in any of the above described areas without a Consent is an offence. Anyone, or their operatives, found guilty of this offence are liable to prosecution and, upon summary conviction, can be fined £1000.
What do I need to apply for a street trading consent?
To apply for street trading consent, you are required to provide the following:
- A completed application form
- 2 passport sized photographs of the operator and all staff
- A Statutory Declaration from all staff
- Public Liability Insurance of no less than £2million
- Employers Liability Insurance (if applicable)
- Valid drivers licence for driver(s) of the towing vehicle
- A valid certificate of insurance, MOT certificate and registration certificate for the towing vehicle
- A certificate of compliance (available from our Commercial Safety Service)
- Appropriate fee
Street trading fees
The following fees will be applicable:
- New Application (12 Month Consent): £232.00
- New Application (6 Month Occasional Consent): £172.37
- New Application (3 Month Occasional Consent): £108.05
- New Application (7 Day Occasional Consent): £69.95
- Renewal (12 Month Consent): £200.69
- Variation of existing Street Trading Consent: £78.71
- Replacement Street Trading plate: £17.49
The licence fees stated above are comprised of (a) an initial fee and (b) a successful application fee. For ease, the full licence fee can be paid on application. In such cases, the successful application fee (b) would be refunded if your application is refused.
If you wish to pay fee (a) and fee (b) separately, please contact the Licensing Service. Fee (a) should be paid on application and fee (b) should be paid if your licence is granted.
Please note that successful applicants will not be issued with a licence without payment of the fee in full. We will handle any information provided to us in accordance with our Privacy Notice (PDF, 416kb)
- For an application pack please contact our licensing team
Will tacit consent apply?
Applications for a Street Trading Consent can take 4 weeks to process, if the vehicle/trailer/stall requires inspection. If your application is refused and you disagree with this decision, the application will be forwarded to the Council’s Licensing and Appeals Committee for determination.
Tacit consent will not apply due to public safety.