Apply for a Council home
Firstly, check if you qualify for Council housing.
To start you will need your National Insurance number and your address history for the last five years.
To support your application you must also provide:
- Photographic identification such as a copy of your passport or driving licence. OR 2 of the following: recent utility bill, current bank account statement, recent correspondence from DWP, Inland Revenue, Tax Credit Office, or Pensions Service
- A reference. This must be from a current or previous landlord or an employer, if you have never rented a property before. The reference must say whether you are suitable to be a tenant and comment on your previous conduct as a tenant (if the reference is from a landlord).
- Proof of child benefit for all children in the household
If relevant to your need for housing and assessment of your application, you must also provide us with supporting information - such as letters from social workers, health visitors, GPs or other people.
All supporting documents should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure the email contains your name, address and Homefinder reference number. If you do not have an email address you can visit either of the Customer Service Points at the Council Offices, 52 Derby Street, Ormskirk, L39 2DF or The Concourse Shopping Centre, Southway, Skelmersdale, WN8 6LN with your supporting documents and the Customer Services team will assist you.
Once we have assessed your application we will contact you to let you know what band your application is in, and the property size and types you can bid for. If you've sent us supporting documentation -like medical evidence - this will be assessed separately and will take a little longer.
You will not be able to bid until we have checked your application and received your reference, identification and any other relevant information.
You need to complete an application form to join our housing register. It's easy, you can apply online at the Homefinder website (external link).
If you require assistance with making an application please contact the Housing Options team on 01695 585267.
- Affording a council home
- Download the Housing Allocations Policy (PDF 528kb)
- Find homes to rent from West Lancashire Borough Council on Facebook: West Lancs Homefinder (external link)
For more information about Council housing applications contact Housing Options on 01695 585267.