Apply for a Council home


Firstly, check if you qualify for Council housing.

You can find out more about applying for council housing in our Tenancy Policy (PDF 205kb)  & Housing Allocations Policy (PDF).

To start you will need your National Insurance number and your address history for the last five years.

To support your application you must also provide:

  • Photographic identification such as a copy of your passport or driving licence. OR 2 of the following: recent utility bill, current bank account statement, recent correspondence from DWP, Inland Revenue, Tax Credit Office, or Pensions Service
  • A reference. This must be from a current or previous landlord or an employer, if you have never rented a property before. The reference must say whether you are suitable to be a tenant and comment on your previous conduct as a tenant (if the reference is from a landlord).
  • Proof of child benefit for all children in the household

If relevant to your need for housing and assessment of your application, you must also provide us with supporting information - such as letters from social workers, health visitors, GPs or other people.

All supporting documents should be uploaded onto your Homefinder application. 

Once we have assessed your application we will contact you to let you know what band your application is in, and the property size and types you can bid for. If you've sent us supporting documentation -like medical evidence - this will be assessed separately and will take a little longer.

You will not be able to bid until we have checked your application and received your reference, identification and any other relevant information.

You need to complete an application form to join our housing register. It's easy, you can apply online at the Homefinder website (external link).   

If you require assistance with making an application please contact the Housing Options team.

More information 


Contact us

For more information about Council housing applications contact Housing Options.