Housing advice: domestic abuse

We are committed to supporting victims of domestic abuse including those living in abusive situations, those wishing to leave an abusive situation and those who are recovering from the effects of former domestic abuse.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse includes any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse. The abuse can be psychological, physical, social, financial, or emotional. Domestic abuse can happen between two people who are or were intimate partners or family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality. 

If you are in fear of a partner, ex-partner or member of your family, you might be experiencing domestic abuse. Do they often... 

  • Call you names and make you feel bad about yourself?
  • Make you afraid by threatening you or your children?
  • Behave violently towards you?
  • Stop you seeing your friends or family?
  • Leave you without money?
  • Harm you or make you feel you could be seriously harmed?

If the answer to some of these questions is yes you might be experiencing domestic abuse.

Get help now

If you are resident in West Lancashire you can get help from the Liberty Centre (external link). The Liberty Centre offers:

  • Short-term temporary emergency accommodation for women and their children who have suffered from domestic abuse
  • Support to children and young people while they are living in the refuge
  • Outreach and settlement worker for those families being rehoused
  • Confidential counselling
  • Advocacy service for people who have suffered domestic abuse
  • Group recovery programme
  • Outreach support for male victims of domestic abuse
  • Drop in advice centre in Ormskirk

They also have a drop in advice centre located at 5 Church House, Park Road, Ormskirk, West Lancashire, L39 3AJ.

If you are in immediate risk of violence call 999.

Leaving home immediately

If you feel you are at risk of harm there are alternatives you could explore such as the Sanctuary Scheme.  The scheme pays for safety works in your home such as changing locks, fire proof letter boxes and panic rooms.

If however you think you need leave your home, try to arrange temporary housing with family or friends, a refuge or from us before you leave. Not everyone leaving home due to violence is entitled to emergency accommodation from us so it is important that you know your options. 

Take some essentials with you such as a change of clothes, toiletries and any medication you need to take regularly. Try to bring important items such as your passport, bank and credit cards and mobile phone.

Don't make a decision to give up your home permanently until you have spoken to us or an independent advisor and considered all your options.

Get homelessness help from the council

If it is not safe for you to stay in your home, contact us for advice as soon as you can. We will give you advice about finding somewhere to live. Some people are entitled to emergency accommodation but some are not. If we have a duty to find you somewhere to live you will be asked to provide details of your situation. You may be asked for supporting evidence, which could include details and dates of incidents. You can take a friend or an adviser with you for support. 

Help for children and young people

If you or someone else in your family is being hurt at home, you may not be sure what you can do about it. Domestic abuse is not your fault and you won't get into trouble for telling someone about it. The first thing is to tell someone else about what is happening to you. You can tell a teacher, a neighbour, a friend or a friend's parent.

You can call Childline on 0800 1111 for free. They won't tell anyone else you are calling unless you are in immediate danger. They can tell you about places where you can get help.

Find out more from The Hideout (external link) about children and young people and domestic abuse and violence.

Other organisations that can offer help