West Lancs logo

Help & advice for private sector tenants

If you are thinking about renting a home in the private sector, it is important that you know your rights as well as the responsibilities you will have. The Government has produced a series of guides to help you understand these rights and responsibilities.

Your landlord must give you a copy of the How to Rent booklet when you sign your tenancy agreement so use the checklist and keep it safe. If your landlord does not do this they will not be able to use the section 21 no fault eviction procedure.

Tenancy deposit protection

Most landlords ask you to pay a tenancy deposit when you sign up to a new tenancy. The deposit must be paid into a Government backed tenancy deposit protection scheme (TDP) within 30 days of you paying it. This has been the law since 6 April 2007. There are currently 3 companies that your deposit can be registered with:

Tenants can check these website to find out if their deposit has been protected.

Once your landlord has received your deposit they have 30 days to tell you:

  • the address of the rented property
  • how much you have paid
  • how the deposit is protected
  • the name and contact details of the TDP they have used and its dispute resolution service
  • the landlord or lettings agents name and contact details
  • the name and contact details of any third party that's paid the deposit
  • why they would keep some or all of the deposit
  • how to apply to get the deposit back
  • what to do if you can't get hold of the landlord at the end of the tenancy
  • what to do if there's a dispute over the deposit

If your landlord has not protected your deposit, you can take them to court. If you win, the landlord will be ordered to pay the deposit back to you and can also order that they pay you up to three times the value of the deposit within 14 days as a fine. Your landlord may also not be able to evict you using the section 21 eviction procedure if your deposit has not been protected. You should seek legal advice if you are considering taking your landlord to court.

You can get more help and advice from:

Shelter also produce guides on:

Help with paying your rent

Tenancy relations

The Homelessness Advice and Prevention Team offers an advice service to tenants and landlords of privately rented accommodation to help resolve disputes or queries and prevent illegal evictions. Contact details are in the panel on the right of the page.

 More information