Do I need planning permission?  

To find out whether planning permission is required for householder developments, including extensions and additions to a dwelling or within the residential boundaries of a dwelling, you will need to submit an application for a certificate of lawfulness for proposed development.

It is in your own interest that you submit a formal application to find out if planning permission is required for your proposal.  This will avoid possible enforcement action being taken should development require planning permission and it provides the necessary documentation required for both mortgage / loan providers and to future prospective buyers.      

To learn more about the need for planning permission further information and advice can be found on the Planning Portal website using the interactive tool (external link) and by accessing common projects (external link).      

How long will a planning application take?  

Applications for planning permission are dealt with as quickly as possible. The Government and the Council both set targets for the speed applications should be determined. For example, 80% of householder applications should be decided within eight weeks. As part of the process, applications are publicised and consultations are carried out.      

  • You can view the status of an application, along with all the associated plans and documents, using our search and view facility. 

Who decides planning applications?  

Decisions on minor and non-controversial applications are made by the Corporate Director of Place and Community under delegated powers. Larger and more controversial applications are decided by the Planning Committee which meets once a month. These Committee meetings are open to the public.  

Appealing against a decision

Applicants have a right of appeal against refusal of planning permission or conditions imposed on a consent to the Planning Inspectorate. These appeals are dealt with in writing or by public hearing or inquiry.  

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

The CIL is a new charge payable on some developments upon their commencement. To find out more, including whether your development could be liable for CIL, see our CIL pages.

Breaches in planning permission

The Development, Heritage and Environment Service is responsible for ensuring compliance with planning legislation and will follow up complaints about work being done or uses carried out without the benefit of planning permission or which do not accord with approved plans in accordance with the Enforcement Plan October 2014 (PDF 458kb). You can report a breach online or by writing in to us. You can also view details of enforcement notices served.

The Planning Portal also provides a guide detailing information on all aspects of the planning process:  

You can also contact the Planning Portal Help Centre.  

Further advice and FAQs