Do I need planning permission?

To find out whether planning permission is required for householder developments, including extensions and additions to a dwelling or within the residential boundaries of a dwelling, you will need to submit an application for a certificate of lawfulness for proposed development.      

It is in your own interest that you submit a formal application to find out if planning permission is required for your proposal. This will avoid possible enforcement action being taken should development be carried out which requires planning permission and it provides the necessary documentation required for both mortgage/loan providers and future prospective buyers. 

Permitted development rights

You can make some minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights”. The permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings.  There are also different requirements if the property is a Listed Building. 

You should also note that the Local Planning Authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 Direction or by way of planning condition on the original planning permission for the property. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one.

To learn more about the need for planning permission further information and advice can be found on the Planning Portal website using the interactive tool (external link) and by accessing common projects (external link). Additionally, technical guidance on permitted development rights for householders is available from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).