Gypsies and Travellers
Why do we need sites?
We are required by national planning policy to ensure that there are enough sites available in West Lancashire to meet the objectively-assessed needs of Gypsies, Travellers and Travelling Showpeople.
How many sites do we need?
The 2017 West Lancashire Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (GTAA) sets out how many sites are needed for the travelling community. We need:
- 15 permanent pitches by 2022, rising to 21 by 2037
- 4 Travelling Showpeople plots by 2022, rising to 5 by 2037
- A suitable 'stopping off' (transit) site.
The 2017 GTAA is available as part of the Local Plan 2023-40 evidence base
Gypsy and Traveller Sites DPD
From 2013 - 2016, we worked on a Development Plan Document (DPD) to allocate specific sites for Gypsies and Travellers, and for Travelling Showpeople. The draft DPD also included a policy to assess planning applications for traveller sites, or to use in traveller-related appeals or enforcement cases.
Mainly because of a lack of sufficient suitable sites, Cabinet made the decision in June 2016 to suspend work on the DPD. Instead, the next Local Plan would cover the allocation of Traveller sites.
- Download the June 2016 Cabinet Report (PDF, 106kb)
- Download the June 2016 Cabinet Minute (PDF, 40kb)
- Download the Options and Preferred Options DPD (PDF, 2.8mb). We consulted on this document in December 2015 / January 2016