Registering to vote

Your vote matters 

The council is responsible for preparing the Register of Electors for West Lancashire.

You can only vote in elections if your name is on the register of electors, being registered can also improve your credit rating. To find out more go to the electoral register

Individual Elector Registration (IER)

Each person is responsible for registering themselves. You can register online (external link).

You will need to provide a few more details to register - including your national insurance number and date of birth. 

The changes make the Electoral Register more secure.

You can register to vote from the age of 16 but you cannot vote in any elections until you are 18 years of age.

Between December and September the electoral register is updated each month. You can contact the Elections Team to find out exactly when your details will be added. Contact 01695 585014 or email

There are special rules about names being added to the electoral register during an election period. If you would like to know more please get in touch with us.

If you have moved recently

If you have moved recently you will need to re-register.  The easiest way to register is online register to vote online (external link). 

If you have moved from another borough and have just registered, we will also tell the Electoral Registration Officer for your old address that you have moved, so that your name can be removed from that register. People who live at two homes (including students) are allowed to register at both. If you do not want to be removed from your other address please explain why on your form

Public servants posted overseas

There are separate registration services for public servants, their spouses and civil partners who are likely to be posted overseas.

If you are a member of the Armed Forces, a Crown servant, a British Council employee, or a spouse or registered civil partner you can register to vote online (external link).

British citizens living overseas

If you are a British citizen living abroad, you can apply to be an overseas voter (external link).  

Under current laws British citizens living abroad can register to vote in Parliamentary elections for a period of 15 years after their name last appeared on the electoral register.  This kind of registration is renewed annually.  We will write to remind electors 3 months prior to their renewal date.

Citizens of EU countries outside the UK and Republic of Ireland

EU citizens can vote in local elections. Citizens of the Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta are eligible to vote in all elections.

If you are unsure please check with the elections office, tel 01695 585014 or email