West Lancashire Upskilling Programme
West Lancashire Borough Council is delighted to announce an exciting opportunity for educators, training providers, businesses, and innovation leaders to contribute to the vitality and economic resilience of our region. We are seeking dynamic project proposals for work-based skills initiatives that focus on addressing skills gaps in critical sectors with challenging-to-fill roles. Our mission is to cultivate a skilled workforce that propels high-productivity businesses and sustains economic growth within our borough.
The scope of this call is to attract proposals that:
- Enhance vocational training and apprenticeship opportunities in high-demand sectors.
- Develop innovative approaches to work-based learning that align with industry needs.
- Support learners in acquiring new, industry-relevant skills that will drive their employability in sectors that are currently experiencing or projecting significant talent shortages.
- Facilitate partnerships between education providers and local businesses to ensure skill acquisition is directly applicable to the needs of West Lancashire’s key industries.
- Promote career development and pathways that encourage talent retention within the borough.
While all relevant proposals will be considered, special consideration will be given to projects that target the following high-demand sectors:
- Textiles, Manufacturing and Engineering
- Health and Social Care
- Information Technology and Cybersecurity
- Green Energy and Environmental Technologies
- Agri-tech and Sustainable Agriculture
Selected projects will have access to a range of support, including but not limited to:
- Financial grants to cover part or all of the direct project costs.
- Networking opportunities with industry leaders and potential employers.
- Guidance and assistance from the West Lancashire Borough Council's economic development team.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Operate within or benefit the West Lancashire borough.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the skills gaps in the targeted sectors.
- Present a feasible plan with measurable outcomes.
- Show potential for sustainable impact beyond the life of the project.
The West Lancashire Upskilling Programme application form is to completed digitally and submitted via email to UKSPF@westlancs.gov.uk before Monday 27 November 2023.
An offline version is also available upon request.
We look forward to collaborating on transformative projects that build our local workforce's capacity, fuel innovation, and maintain our position as a leading destination for high-skilled, high-productivity businesses. Together, we can ensure that West Lancashire remains at the forefront of economic and social prosperity.