West Lancashire Local Plan 2012-2027
The West Lancashire Local Plan 2012-2027 ('WLLP'), adopted October 2013, is the current adopted Plan for the Borough. It guides future development within the Borough to 2027 and can be viewed or downloaded below.
We are currently working on a new Local Plan to cover the period 2023-2040.
Burscough Parish Neighbourhood Plan
The Burscough Parish Neighbourhood Plan, 'made' July 2019, forms part of the Development Plan for the Parish of Burscough. When considering development proposals in Burscough, please refer to the Neighbourhood Plan as well as to the adopted WLLP. Similarly, for any site designations, have regard to the Neighbourhood Plan Key Diagram as well as to the WLLP Policies Map.
Local Plan document and maps
You can download the WLLP as a whole, or in separate chapters.
- Chapter 1 - Foreword and Introduction (PDF 3.8mb)
- Chapter 2 - Spatial Portrait (PDF 1.3mb)
- Chapter 3 - A Vision for West Lancashire (PDF 1.2mb)
- Chapter 4 - Strategic Policies (SP1-SP3) (PDF 3.9mb)
- Chapter 5 - General Development Policies (GN1-GN5) (PDF 1.8mb)
- Chapter 6 - Facilitating Economic Growth (EC1-EC4) (PDF 1.1mb)
- Chapter 7 - Providing for Housing and Residential Accommodation (RS1-RS6) (PDF 2.1mb)
- Chapter 8 - Infrastructure and Service Provision (IF1-IF4) (PDF 1.7mb)
- Chapter 9 - Sustaining the Borough's Environment and Addressing Climate Change (EN1-EN4) (PDF 3.8mb)
View and download the Glossary and Appendices:
- Glossary (PDF 642kb)
- Appendix A (PDF 540kb)
- Appendix B (PDF 1.5mb)
- Appendix C (PDF 229kb)
- Appendix D (PDF 272kb)
- Appendix E (PDF 1.2mb)
- Appendix F (PDF 172kb)
- Appendix G (PDF 168kb)
- Appendix H (PDF 134kb)
- Appendix I (PDF 245kb)
- Appendix J (PDF 155kb)
View the interactive Local Plan Policies Maps
For the avoidance of any doubt: if any discrepancies are found between the interactive Local Plan policies map and the printed, paper versions of the Adopted Policies map, the printed, paper versions will take precedence in decision-making.
Paper copies of the Local Plan can be purchased for a charge - this is £35 for non-residents and £20 for residents.
In addition, the Council needs to identify sites to meet Gypsy and Traveller accommodation needs. The West Lancashire Local Plan does not do this, so until such land is allocated, Policy DE4 of the West Lancashire Replacement Local Plan 2001-2016 remains part of the development plan for the Borough.
Background to West Lancashire Local Plan
For information on how we prepared the Local Plan, and the main background documents, please follow the link below.
By law, planning applications are to be judged against the development plan for the area, unless material considerations indicate otherwise. The West Lancashire Local Plan 2012-2027 sits alongside the National Planning Policy Framework and other national and sub-regional guidance.
- Supplementary planning documents and guidance
- National planning policy framework (external link)
- National planning practice guidance (external link)
- Minerals and Waste Local Plan for Lancashire (external link)
The Annual Monitoring Report considers the policies of the adopted Local Plan and whether they are continuing to work as intended.