Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) was introduced in West Lancashire in September 2014. UC is now the main benefit for most working age claimants. It replaces the six benefits listed below and puts them into a single monthly payment:

  • Income based job seekers allowance
  • Income related employment support allowance
  • Income support
  • Child tax credit
  • Working tax credit
  • Housing benefit

West Lancashire moved to full (digital) service UC on 13 December 2017. If you wish to make a new claim for benefits you will need to claim UC and your claim must be made and maintained online.  If you rent a property you need to ensure you input your housing costs correctly.  To help you with this, we have put together the Steps needed to add Housing Costs to your Universal Credit Claim (pdf 1138kb)

If you are a Council tenant, your rent costs will change from 1st April 2019 and you must update your housing costs on your Universal Credit claim. To help you with this, we have put together the Steps needed to change your rent on your Universal Credit Claim (pdf, 934kb).

Pensioners and people living in supported exempt accommodation should continue to claim housing benefit from West Lancashire Borough Council. Find out more on our exemptions page.

Mixed Aged Couples

From May 2019 mixed aged couples (where one is working age and one retirement age) who claim universal credit will be treated as a working age couple with the person of retirement age not having to look for employment.  Find out more (external link)

Claimants already on UC prior to 13 December should be moved to the full service within 3 months. You will be advised by Universal Credits when you need to do this.

Universal Credit recent changes and changes to come (external link)

Universal credit links