New club premises certificate

Information on Clubs

Clubs are organisations where members have joined together for particular social, sporting or political purposes and then combined to buy alcohol in bulk as members of the organisation to supply in the club, or provide regulated entertainment.

They commonly include Labour, Conservative and Liberal Clubs, the Royal British Legion, other ex-services clubs, working men’s clubs, miners' welfare institutions, social and sports clubs.

To provide one or more qualifying club activities (i.e. supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment, provision of facilities for music and dancing), the premises must hold a Club Premises Certificate.

Please refer to the licence fees, licensing policy and the help and guidance sections of our website when making a new application. 

Data protection is important to us. Information on how we handle and protect your data including our Corporate Privacy Policy can be found here.



By post:

Parts A & B must be completed for a new application. A Premises Licence and Club Premises Certificate Guide (PDF 186kb) has been prepared to help you make your application, as well as specific guidance (PDF 106kb) for clubs.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes, tacit consent will apply.

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Council by the end of the target period.

A copy of the application will be provided to Responsible Authorities on first working day after the application is received by Licensing Unit.

Please note: this only related to applications submitted online. You are required to serve a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the “responsible authorities” on the same day as the application is given to the Licensing Unit if posting the application.

At the end of the consultation period, if no representations are received the licence will be granted and issued within a further 2 weeks.

If representations are received a hearing will be held within 20 working days of end of consultation period.

The consultation period is for 28 days from the day after the application is received.