Littering in car parks
The Council is now able to enforce new powers to clampdown on litter problems caused by free printed material - like leaflets and flyers - being left on parked cars. It is now an offence to distribute free printed material at 34 car parks across the Borough without permission.
Anyone who wants to distribute such material in these areas must apply for a consent, for which there is a fee. If the council thinks the distribution will give rise to litter, consent will not be given. Anyone caught distributing without consent could be issued with a fixed penalty notice of £150 or prosecuted in a bid to stop the problem. Additionally anyone with a consent who creates litter will be refused further consents or have their existing one cancelled.
Car parks affected
The new order banning the distributing of printed material is valid at the following car parks:
- In Burscough: Mill Lane, School Lane, Smithy Walk, Station Approach,
- In Ormskirk: 52 Derby Street and Westec House, Hants Lane/Burscough Street, Hutton Way - Aughton Street, Lunesdale - Moorgate, Market Way - Moorgate, Moor Street Bus Station, Park Pool - Park Road, rear of Tesco's - Park Road, Railway Approach, Southport Road/Green Lane, Station Approach, Styles, Wheatsheaf
- In Skelmersdale: Digmoor Parade, Egerton, Gardiners Place, Gerrard Place, Gillibrands Road, Gladden Place, Greenhey Place, Lyndale - Ashurst, Priorswood Place, Prospect Place, Sandy Lane Car Parks (both sides of the centre, including spaces adjacent to Uppingham), Seddon Place, Southway - Co-op Bank site, Westgate, Yeadon (adjacent to the Police Station and the Library)
- In Up Holland: Hall Green, Tithebarn Street
Report littering in car parks
If you think someone has been leaving printed materials - without permission - in one of the car parks listed, you can report it to the council and we will investigate it.
- Online: Report Litter in Car Parks
How to apply for a consent
If you want to distribute free printed material in any of the named car parks you must apply for consent.