Support Getting Online
Currently 11.3 million adults in the UK still lack the essential digital skills that are necessary for life and work* and West Lancashire Borough Council are hoping to tackle this. One of our priorities in the Council Plan is to engage and empower our local communities by delivering digital inclusion initiatives, to encourage self-service and further strengthen customer service. We're doing this by making sure our customers know where they can access the internet and also have access to free digital skills training; please see below to see how we can help you get started.
Digital Training – We Are Digital Partnership Project
Having the skills and confidence to get online is a part of everyday life and is a great way to stay connected with friends and family, shop online and manage your money through online banking in the comfort of your own home. Here at West Lancashire Borough Council we are dedicated to helping our digitally excluded residents get online. We have teamed up with "We Are Digital" to offer residents free 1-2-1 training and support sessions which can be done remotely at home and are designed to cover all the basics of being online including how to use the internet safely.
Here are some examples of what you may be interested in learning:
- How to video call friends and family
- Using social media such as Facebook (inc. internet safety)
- Arranging GP appointments by video
- Shopping online
- Online banking (safer than telephone banking)
- Creating a CV and applying for jobs
- Government forms online and on the phone (benefits such as Universal Credit)
- Help with energy companies or switching bills
Text WEST LANCS and your name to 07825 844 417 or call us directly on 01695 585 216 (standard charges apply).
Learn My Way
Learn my way (external link) is a website full of free online courses for beginners which is ran by The Good Things Foundations. Its designed to help you develop your digital skills to make the most of the online world, so whether you're just starting out digitally or you want to add to your existing skills, Learn My Way has a course for you. Here's a list of just some of the courses on offer:
- Using a touchscreen
- Using email
- Online shopping
- Video calling & socialising online
- Keeping your personal information secure online
- Job hunting online
- GP services online: a how to guide
- Online and mobile banking
- Using public services online
- Universal Credit: a how to guide
- How to be a Digital Champion
Remember when registering to use the West Lancashire Borough Council Centre Code which is: 8000627
If you have any questions about Learn My Way please email the Customer Engagement Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting Access to the Internet
- Libraries (external link): many libraries have public computers and offer free wifi access, check out your local library to see what they have on offer
- Community centres: staff at your local community centre can provide help and support while you take your first steps to be online.
Help With Our Site
We try to provide a website that is easy to use and accessible for everyone but if you are having trouble, why not read our handy help pages for hints and tips:
Once you feel more confident online you’ll find a whole host of services at your fingertips.
With our website alone, you can access a whole range of services from paying your council tax or council house rent to finding when your bin is due to be emptied or what planning applications have been submitted near to your home.
*According to study conducted by Good Things Foundation 2018 – Bridging the Digital Divide campaign.