Household waste recycling centres


Centres in West Lancashire


Glenburn Road, Skelmersdale, Lancashire, WN8 6JR

7 days a week - 9am–5pm.

Closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year's Day.


Abbey Lane, Burscough, Ormskirk, Lancashire, L40 7SR

Thursday to Monday - 9am-5pm.

Closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year's Day.

For information on all individual centres across Lancashire, including addresses and opening times, visit the Lancashire County Council website here (external link).


Types of waste the recycling centres accept

  • Bric-a-brac
  • Cans
  • Cardboard
  • Cooking oil
  • Electronic equipment
  • Engine oil (maximum of 5 litres per household)
  • Flat/plate glass
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Fridges and Freezers
  • Furniture (sofa, armchair, wardrobes)
  • Gas bottles
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Green garden waste
  • Household and car batteries
  • Household chemicals
  • Inert waste (including plaster and plasterboard) 
  • Large domestic appliances (cookers, ovens)
  • Mattresses
  • Newspapers, magazines, books and paper
  • Plastic bottles
  • Printer cartridges
  • Scrap metal
  • Textiles, clothes and shoes
  • TV's and monitors
  • Tyres (maximum 5 tyres per household)
  • Wood

The following types of waste can be taken to Burscough but cannot be taken to Skelmersdale:

  • Correctly wrapped asbestos up to a limit of 6 x sheets/bags per visit and 18 x sheets/bags per year. See our disposal of asbestos page (external link) for further guidance and details of sites accepting asbestos.
  • Cartons (e.g. Tetra Pak).


Hazardous waste

For information and guidance on the safe disposal of hazardous waste, please visit the county council's hazardous waste page (external link).


Permit schemes

All of the permit schemes are currently suspended but anyone delivering waste in a van or using a trailer (all types) needs to book an appointment in advance of their visit. This includes:

  • Inert waste permits
  • Recyclable waste permits
  • General waste permits
  • Charity permits
  • Pedestrian permits


Access policy

Please be aware of the Access Policy (external link) if delivering waste in a van or using a trailer and book an appointment for a van or trailer (all types).

For more information please visit Lancashire County Council Household Waste Recycling Centre (external link).


For more information visit Lancashire County Council's Household Waste Recycling Centres page (external link).