West Lancs logo

Council Tax Support

What is Council Tax support?

Council Tax Support helps people on a low income pay their council tax.

Who can claim?

Anyone who has to pay council tax can apply. However Council Tax Support is there to help people on a low income to pay their council tax bill and it is assessed by looking at your:

  • household
  • any other adults living with you
  • personal circumstances
  • income
  • capital/savings

You will not be entitled to Council Tax Support if you have savings of over £16,000 (unless you are in receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit)

How is it worked out?

Council Tax Support is calculated by looking at your income, savings and household circumstances.

Working age households including those in receipt of certain benefits such as Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance and Employment Support Allowance will pay at least 22% of their council tax bill.

Depending on your circumstances, you can have some or all of the remaining 78% of your council tax bill covered by Council Tax Support.

How do I claim?

Complete a Council Tax Support form and send it in to us:

What proof is needed to assess my claim?

You will need to provide proof of some of the things you write about on your application including:

  • Proof of identity – passport, driving license
  • Proof of income for all members of the household

A full list of the types of evidence required as proof is provided on page four of the notes for filling in a claim form, available above.

How long will it take?

Council Tax Support will normally start from the Monday following receipt of your application.

To ensure your entitlement starts from the earliest possible date you should state your intention to claim by:

  • Email: housing.benefits@westlancs.gov.uk
  • Tel: 0300 7900380
  • Visit: our Customer Service Point at the Concourse, Skelmersdale (appointment required) or  at 52 Derby Street Ormskirk, L39 2DF
  • Write: Benefits Service, 52 Derby Street, Ormskirk, L39 2DF

Can a claim be backdated?

You can only ask for your claim to be backdated if there is a valid reason why you were unable to apply any earlier.

If you are of pensionable age special backdating rules apply. Council Tax Support can be backdated for a minimum of three months from the date of your application or from the date that you or your partner became pensionable age if this is later.

If we pay you too much Council Tax Support  this will be recalled from your council tax account and a new council tax bill will be sent to you with an increased amount to pay.

Appeal against a decision

If you disagree with the decision you can

  • Ask for an explanation
  • Ask for the decision to be looked at again, if you are still not satisfied you can:-
  • Appeal to the Valuation Tribunal of England

 Further information

Your West Lancashire

Information for where you live




0300 7900380*

*Calls to 03 numbers cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number and count towards any inclusive minutes in the same way as 01 and 02 calls. These rules apply to calls from any type of line including mobile, BT, other fixed line or payphone

Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 16
L39 2DF