Household Support Fund

The Household Support fund is now open to applications for the period 1 April 2024 to 30 September 2024.

The Government has given approval for the household fund to continue for the period 1 April 2024 to 30 September 2024. The fund is to assist residents with the significant rise in living costs, It is intended to help those who do not have enough resources to meet immediate short term needs and require assistance with essential items over the coming months. The fund is intended to support all residents and in particular we would encourage residents who are disabled, carers and care leavers to complete the application.

This can be used to help towards the cost of:

  • Energy/water needs
  • Essentials linked to energy / water needs
  • Food
  • Wider essentials but only in exceptional circumstances

It is not intended to cover debt or general financial hardship which is not linked to energy/food, warmth and/or hygiene.

The fund is not intended to cover housing costs as there are other benefits and support available to help with these for example Discretionary Housing Payment

Awards will be made where there is no alternative means of meeting the need.

Please be aware that the Household Support Fund is a cash limited fund. All applications will be processed strictly in order of date received and if all requested supporting documentation is complete.


To be eligible for the fund you must be:

  • A resident in West Lancashire Borough
  • Experiencing financial hardship and not have enough resources to meet your immediate short-term needs

Support available

The fund can help with short-term living costs such as food, gas, electric, water, household bills and clothing (this is not an exhaustive list).

The fund will also signpost you to other sources of advice and support to ensure that you get all the assistance you are entitled to.

You may be offered a referral for advice and assistance with finance, debt and/or welfare benefits, to help address your long-term needs. 


The fund does not cover:

  • Any requests for items that are not essential for example debts incurred by gambling or loans/credit cards, overdrafts, HP etc
  • Applications from those with sufficient income or savings
  • Requests for household items where these are the responsibility of the landlord
  • Rent arrears and/or deposits unless meeting exceptional need
  • Only one application per household

How long will it take for a decision to be made?

We aim to make a decision within 15 working days of receiving all the required information.

Depending on the level of demand for the fund, this may not always be possible. During this time please do not submit further application or try to contact the council regarding your application.

To speed up the application process please ensure you fully complete the application form and provide all the evidence we ask for.

What information will you need to include?

We will need the following information:

  • Where you live
  • Full household details
  • Your circumstances
  • Your most recent Bank Statement showing one month's transactions which confirm your income and shows your name and address - dated within the last 2 months. If you do not provide complete bank statements your application will not be considered.
  • Screenshots showing the bank account details only will not be accepted but pictures of bank statements may be submitted.
  • Evidence of any gambling on bank statements provided will be investigated further
  • What support you need and an in-depth explanation as to why the support is required.
  • Incomplete applications will be rejected.

Can I appeal a decision if my application is unsuccessful? 

As this is a discretionary fund there is no right of appeal. However, if you think we have overlooked important information then you can ask for us to look at the application again by emailing providing reasons along with your name and address.

This decision will be final.

Please click on this link to download the application form


For more help with the cost of living, you can also visit:

Your privacy

The information that you provide will be processed in accordance with the (GDPR) and data protection law for the purpose of provision and management of the Household Support Fund.

Your personal information, where provided, will be processed under Article 6,1 (e) of the GDPR - processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.