Home contents insurance for council tenants

Why do I need it?

West Lancashire Borough Council do not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance

We have procured Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants and leaseholders living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Reasons to choose Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance

  • No excess (you don’t pay the first part of the claim)
  • Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
  • Covers tenants improvements (up to £2000)
  • Covers contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £2000)
  • Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen
  • You don’t need to have special door or window locks
  • All postcodes are included

Who is this policy for?

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents and leaseholders looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer Allianz Insurance plc. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Policy Wording which you should read carefully.

Based on the information which has been provided to you if you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact insurance_services@westlancs.gov.uk

How do I apply?

If you would like to apply for home contents insurance, please save and complete the our application pack. To save the application pack to your device please right click on the link below and select the Save Link/Save Target As option.

If you are unable to download the application for please email insurance_services@westlancs.gov.uk and an application pack can be emailed directly to you.

Unfortunately at this time we are unable to accept paper applications.

Prior to completing the application form, please review the

These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover. 

Please note that the insurance policy we provide is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.


Making a payment on line

Please note that when making a payment on line the invoice/reference number is your six figure policy number. Make payment on-line

Making a Claim

If you wish to make a claim on your policy please telephone Allianz Insurance directly on 0344 871 2230 and they will advise you of the next steps.

Complaints Process

West Lancashire Borough Council's Complaints Process

Alternatively, a copy of Thistles complaint’s procedure is available on request. For additional information:

If you have a complaint relating to your policy, please contact the Allianz Customer Satisfaction Manager at:

Allianz Insurance plc

PO Box 10623


LE18 9HJ


Phone: 0330 102 1781

Fax: 01483 529 717

Email: allianzretailcomplaints@allianz.co.uk


Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Lloyd’s Broker. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.


Privacy Notices

For information on what to expect when the Council's insurance section collects or is provided with personal information, please see the Insurance Privacy Notices webpage.