Adaptations for disabled people

Council tenants 

We work in partnership with Lancashire County Council and the Occupational Therapy Service to provide an adaptations service to tenants of West Lancashire Borough Council.
If you are a tenant of West Lancashire Borough Council, you will not need to apply for a DFG (Disabled Facilities Grant) as the Council currently funds adaptations for its own tenants through its Public Sector Disabled Adaptations Service (subject to a means test).
This service provides home adaptations for disabled people, to help with access into and around the home and the provision of basic amenities such as bathing. However, you will need to follow an assessment process before the Council can carry out the work.  

How do I arrange for the work to be carried out?

The first thing you must do is contact Lancashire County Council Social Services (external link)  (tel 0300 123 6720) and tell them you need adaptations in your home. An assessment of your needs will be carried out generally within one month.
If you need minor aids such as grab rails, these will be provided by Lancashire County Council. If you need major adaptations, a referral will be sent to our Property Services Team, who will arrange for the works to be carried out.  

How long will I have to wait?

Once we have received the referral from Lancashire County Council, we will prioritise your application based on the level of priority it has been given by the Occupational Therapist. Referrals are either High Priority or Standard Priority.
We aim to complete High Priority cases within 83 working days and Standard Priority cases within 151 working days. If you require major works such as internal alterations or an extension, the work will take longer as building regulations and planning permission may be needed.

Non-Council tenants

The Private Sector Housing Section, who also work in partnership with Lancashire County Council and the Occupational Therapy Service, provide an adaptations grant programme to home-owners, private tenants, tenants of Registered Social Landlords and qualifying houseboat or park home owners.
If you are a non-council tenant, please visit the the disabled facilities grants page for more information.


Privacy Notice

Please refer to our Privacy Notice (PDF 415KB)