Burials and cremations
West Lancashire's cemeteries
We operate two interdenominational cemeteries:
- Certain areas within St Paul's Church, Church Road, Skelmersdale
- Liverpool Road Cemetery, Liverpool Road, Skelmersdale
Plots for burials and cremations
There are no new grave spaces left in either cemetery, but there are ashes plots at the cemetery at Liverpool Road, Skelmersdale. There are other cemeteries available at some churches in West Lancashire and at Pippin Street, Burscough - visit West Lancashire Cemetery and Crematorium (external link) for details.
If you have a family plot and it needs to be opened for a burial, you should contact Street Scene Services, your funeral director will usually do this on your behalf.
The council does not conduct municipal funerals.
We do not operate a crematorium in West Lancashire.
There is a private crematorium in Burscough, visit West Lancashire Crematorium (external link) for more info.
There are also crematoria facilities in neighbouring authorities:
- Preston City Council (external link)
- Sefton Borough Council (external link)
- St Helens Borough Council (external link)
- Wigan Borough Council (external link)
Exhumations can only take place if permission has been granted from the Home Office. Environmental Health will get involved to co-ordinate the process and ensure it is done safely and with decency.
More information and who to contact
Download the Burial Rights document (PDF 35kb) which details:
- Cemeteries rules
- When burials can take place
- How much notice you need to give
- Regulations governing memorials
For the administration of burials in the Council's cemeteries please contact Street Scene Services, Robert Hodge Centre, Stanley Way, Skelmersdale, Lancashire, WN8 8EE Tel: 01695 577177 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org