The Strategic Housing and Employment Land Availability Assessment, or SHELAA for short, considers the suitability and the potential for future development of various sites submitted to the Council.
The SHELAA is usually published annually. Due to delays associated with Covid-19, the 2020 and 2021 SHELAAs have been combined into one. The sites in the 2020/21 SHELAA will form the 'pool' of sites from which any necessary proposed land allocations will eventually be chosen in the new Local Plan.
- Download the SHELAA 2020/21 covering note (PDF, 1mb)
Schedules of sites by delivery timescales
- There are no sites in the 0-5 year category
- Sites in 6-10 year category (PDF, 689kb)
- Sites in 11-15 year category (PDF, 593kb)
Schedules of sites by settlement
The documents below show SHELAA sites that have been submitted for housing.
- Download Appley Bridge (AB-) sites (PDF, 457kb)
- Download Banks (BA-) sites (PDF, 644kb)
- Download Bickerstaffe (BK-) sites (PDF, 352kb)
- Download Burscough (BU-) sites (PDF, 984kb)
- Download Halsall-Haskayne (HA-) sites (PDF, 1.1mb)
- Download Hesketh Bank (HB-) sites (PDF, 637kb)
- Download Lathom (LA-) sites (PDF, 591kb)
- Download Ormskirk-Aughton (OA-) sites (PDF, 1.6mb)
- Download Parbold (PB-) sites (PDF, 677kb)
- Download Rufford (RF-) sites (PDF, 539kb)
- Download Scarisbrick (SR-) sites (PDF, 976kb)
- Download Skelmersdale (SK-) sites (PDF, 1.6mb)
- Download Tarleton (TA-) sites (PDF, 1mb)
- Download Up Holland (UP-) sites (PDF, 545kb)
- Download Wrightington (WR-) sites (PDF, 511kb)
A schedule of employment sites will follow.
Maps of sites
- Appley Bridge & Wrightington map (PDF, 1.3mb)
- Aughton map (1.5mb)
- Banks & Mere Brow map (PDF, 1.4mb)
- Bickerstaffe map (1.3mb)
- Burscough map (PDF, 1.4mb)
- Crawford map (PDF, 700kb)
- Halsall & Haskayne map (PDF, 966kb)
- Hilldale map (PDF, 1mb)
- Ormskirk East & Lathom map (PDF, 1.2mb)
- Ormskirk North map (PDF, 1.5mb)
- Parbold & Newburgh map (PDF, 1.3mb)
- Pinfold & Hurlston map (976kb)
- Rufford & Holmeswood map (PDF, 1.1mb)
- Scarisbrick map (PDF, 1.1mb)
- Sefton boundary - Formby map (1mb)
- Sefton boundary - Lydiate map (646kb)
- Sefton boundary - E Southport map (1.5mb)
- Skelmersdale East & Up Holland map (PDF, 1.9mb)
- Skelmersdale North West map (1.7mb)
- Skelmersdale South West map (1.3mb)
- Tarleton & Hesketh Bank map (PDF, 1.6mb)
Land can be submitted for the Council's consideration at any time. Sites submitted after 1 April 2021 will be included in the 2022 SHELAA.
- Submit a site (external link)
How we handle your data
Completing the SHELAA form enables you to submit a site to West Lancashire Borough Council for our consideration as a potential development site as we prepare Local Plans, one of our legal duties.
If you choose not to send us any contact details, we will be unable to verify that the site you have submitted is 'available', which is likely to rule it out from consideration as a potential future site allocation.
For further information as to how we handle your data, please see the WLBC Corporate Privacy Notice. Paper copies are available on request. If you would like to discuss this notice, or how we will use your personal data, you can contact a Planning Policy Officer via Localplan@westlancs.gov.uk or on 01695 585284.